Thursday 13 August 2015

Star gazing images - Oxford Commercial Photographer - Kim Martin

The last two nights I have spent many hours looking up at the havens to see the Perseids Meteor Shower to try to get some  pictures of it.
I have to admit I thought it was going to be a piece of cake, little did I know.
Setting to camera up was simple, all I had to do was set the interval timer to take a picture then wait a second before taking another picture. The quality was set to JPEG to give me a lot of images. The Aperture was set to wide open, and the shutter was set to 30 seconds, the ISO in my case was 64. And most of all a good tripod.
Focus was set to infinity, and off I trotted to the end of the garden. I new that the Pereus Constellation was supposed to be in the North East, so that direction was a good direction to point the camera. As I was using a 35mm lens I had a reasonable coverage. I set the timer going and the camera started taking the pictures every second with the shutter open for 30 seconds. Every now and again I saw a Meteor but none of them where I was pointed.
I decided after an hour or so to point the camera towards the Plough not the Pub but the part of the Great Bear constellation, I started the timer going again.
It's amazing how even a big guy like me gets extra sensitive to the noises out there in the dark. After another hour and several hundred pictures I gave up because none of the few Meteors I saw went any where near my lens.
I packed up and went to bed. Next morning I downloaded the pictures into Lightroom and started to look closely at each one.
The first days images were empty of Meteors but full of Stars. The second night was a bit more fruitful, as I trawled through the first lot of the second evening, the ones pointing to the NE. To my surprise I got one, I called the family to have a look, it was that exciting. We all marvelled at the streak across the sky. then I looked at the next image and the one after that and both images had the same streak except a little further on in the picture, creating a lovely straight line across the sky, meaning it was nothing more than an aeroplane, or a satellite.
After that disappointment I plodded on looking at the remainder which were the ones pointed to the Plough. Guess what I found, another trail in-fact two and there was nothing on the images before or after, meaning that it had to be something other than a plane or satellite.
So, as far as I am concerned I had finally got a picture of the Perseids Meteor Shower.
I do have to wonder it it was worth the 4 hours outside in the middle of the night just for a single picture of a streak of light.

No comments:

Post a Comment