Friday, 7 August 2015

Oxford Commercial Photographer - Kim Martin - First Pano with D810

Just got back from taking the Grandchildren for a picnic up on the Ridgeway, once the rain had stopped it turned out to be a good afternoon.
I had taken my camera gear so I could try a large scale panorama to see how it all worked together out in the field.
Getting the tripod level and on firm ground was the first problem as I had to stand the tripod in the long and dense grass but I got it pretty much OK. (not good enough, as I found out later).
I decided on using my 70 - 200mm lens, just to make it more interesting.
Using the 200 meant that I would need an image taken every 5 degrees to make sure I had enough overlap for the software to produce a good result.
Once we got back from a good afternoon of eating and flint finding (my grandson loves flint). I set to work downloading the images. I took a range of pano's with my 35mm, 50mm and the 200mm.
I will concentrate on the images using the 200mm.
As I said with the 200 you need to take a picture every 5 degrees which meant I had 40 images for the total pano. This took a few minutes to download to Bridge.
Once downloaded and backed up, I set to work selecting them and sending them to the pano software in photoshop. From start to finish, that's importing into Photomerge processing and then flattening the image, it took two and a quarter hours.
What I finished up with was a flattened PSD. 5.95gb in size and an image that was 13.5 yards long just about 12.5 meters. I had to reduce it down to be able to work on it so I opened up Image Size and reduced the hight, which was nearly 2 foot to 6 inches, at 300 dpi that left me with an image 120 inches long by 6 inches high.
What I haven't mentioned is that the image sloped from left to right, let me show you.
The image starts up in the top left and finishes down in the bottom right. This was because, even though I thought I had got it level I had not and through the pan to the right the level being a little off, caused the result that you see.
To quickly get over this problem you could do many things, some better than others but my quick fix is to go into the Camera Raw filter and straighten it with the lens correction filter. Once done and cropped the pic was ready to adjust.
Clearly I will never be able to show you the final image in all its glory. As it is it is still 10 foot long and only 3 inches high, but as an exercise it was interesting.
The gear used was as detailed in the previous blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment